First of all,All the Antivirus programs are really gr8,but i hope this will give u a fare look on what to buy.It isnt an easy job selecting an Antivirus.You have to make sure it is user-friendly,finds virus's quickly,its detection power and all sorts of things.I will grade the anivirus's on a scale the reaches to 100.It denotes how good it as by me.the various things that will be shown are user friendliness,detection,virus quarantine.And special thanks to wikipedia
THE KING OF FREEWARE ANTIVIRUS's [as i know it]-AVG
This as i know it is the king of all the freeware antivirus's out there,The great AVG.It is mainly run in windows though it supports linux as well.The brand name AVG comes from Grisoft's first product, "Anti-Virus Guard", launched in 1992 in the Czech Republic. In 1997, the first AVG licenses were sold in Germany and UK. AVG was introduced to the U.S. in 1998.
- AVG Anti-Virus was certified by ICSA Labs.
- It has been tested 43 times, from February 1998 through May 2003, by Virus bulletin and has failed 22 times and passed 21 times. During the period from June 2003 to April 2008, it was tested 23 times; passing 20 times and failing 3 times.
- At CNET.com AVG 9.0 received a review of 5/5 from CNET editors, and a review of 4/5 from consumers.
- AVG won a Highly Commended award from Australian PC Authority magazine 2007 Reliability and Service Awards Best Software category (over 14,000 survey respondents) with an 89% satisfaction rating. It was beaten only by Firefox satisfaction (93%).
- At PCWorld.com AVG 7.5 received a 77/100. It did a "fine job" in disinfection tests, but ranked last of the ten products tested in proactive protection using one-month-old signature files.
AVG Technologies provides a number of products from the AVG range, suitable for Windows2000 onwards. In addition to this, AVG Technologies also provides Linux and FreeBSD versions of the software. AVG Anti-Virus 9.0 is available in both a free and commercial editions. AVG 9.0 has identity theft protection through a partnership with Intersections Inc,. AVG 9.0 also adds white listing, behavioral protection and cloud operations to their signature-based blocking. The software adds the Resident Shield, firewall, and identity protection modules. The LinkScanner component has been improved to cut phishing threats further.
For desktop protection of PCs running Windows, the AVG solutions include:
- AVG Internet Security 8.5 is a full suite which brings together the AVG Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, LinkScanner, Anti-Rootkit, Web Shield, Security Toolbar, Firewall, Anti-Spam, Identity Protection and System Tools protection components.
- AVG Identity Protection 8.5 provides protection against identity theft and unknown malware threats using behavioral monitoring.
- AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall 8.5 provides the Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, LinkScanner, Anti-Rootkit, Web Shield, Security Toolbar and Firewall protection components.
- AVG Anti-spyware was a rebranded version of ewido Anti-Spyware, that was integrated into AVG Anti-Virus as of version 8.0. A free version was also available, having now been merged into AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
- AVG Anti-Rootkit was a free anti-Rootkit program that was discontinued as of late 2006. Like AVG Anti-Spyware, it has now been merged into AVG Anti-Virus
- AVGADMIN is a remote administration tool, which allows the software to be managed centrally on networks.
- AVG Anti-Virus 8.5 provides the Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, LinkScanner, Anti-Rootkit, Web Shield, and Security Toolbar protection components.
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 provides basic Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware protection, plus the full AVG LinkScanner safe search and surf technology. There are some limitations with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 compared to the commercial versions of AVG products. These limitations include:
- Less protection – AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 provides the same anti-virus and anti-spyware scanning engine as the commercial product; however, it lacks anti-rootkit. The older 7.5 Free Edition is perfectly capable of finding and disabling rootkits based on signatures, but cannot scan for rootkit-like activity. The 8.5 version of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition version lacks any anti-rootkit capability. While there is no official protection for files from messaging sources, the Resident sheild automatically scans files before they are opened or copied.
- Infrequent updates – AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 receives updates via a lower priority service. Priority updating via high-speed servers is only available for the commercial versions of AVG products.
- No telephone or e-mail technical support – There is no telephone or e-mail technical support provided by AVG for users of AVG Free Edition products anywhere in the world. AVG Free Edition users have access to support via the self-help AVG Free Forum.
- Less customization – Scheduling options in AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 are very limited (only one scheduled update per day, one scheduled scan per day etc.). However, the AVG Resident Shield configuration allows exclusions. The on-demand/scheduled scanner allows advanced testing options such as heuristics and reporting of password-protected archives reporting. Process priority for on-demand/scheduled scans can be dynamically adjusted over three different configurations.
- No server support – AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 cannot be installed on server operating systems (such as Windows Server 2003), nor can it be used for the scanning of network drives.
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.5 is only licensed for home and non-commercial use on a single computer.
AVG Free Edition has previously been responsible for popup ads advertising the non-free versions of AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 and AVG Internet Security 8.0, which claim to provide more comprehensive levels of protection.AVG Anti-Virus 8.5 Free Edition users are now also subject to a daily pop-up advertising campaign for a "recommended upgrade" to AVG Internet Security. A "manager" on the AVG free version forum states that this advertisement appears once per day for one month each year.
NOW WE MOVE ON TO THE RATINGS:-
User Friendliness - 81/100.